Thursday, January 24, 2013

"You Thought I Was Trouble"


Author's Note: This piece is written on point of view on a song called "I Knew You Were Trouble". I wrote my own version of the song and explained how the song changed by having a different point of view.

“I Knew You Were Trouble” By Taylor Swift
Once upon a time, a few mistakes ago
I was in your sights, you got me alone
You found me, you found me, you found me
I guess you didn't care, and I guess I liked that
And when I fell hard you took a step back
Without me, without me, without me

And he's long gone when he's next to me
And I realize the blame is on me

'Cause I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
'Til you put me down, oh
I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble

No apologies, he'll never see you cry
Pretend he doesn't know that he's the reason why
You're drowning, you're drowning, you're drowning
Now I heard you moved on from whispers on the street
A new notch in your belt is all I'll ever be
And now I see, now I see, now I see

He was long gone when he met me
And I realize the joke is on me, yeah!

“You Thought I Was Trouble” By Christina Heinritz
Once upon a time, a while ago
I saw you there, I got you alone
I found you, I found you, I found you
I cared so much, but you didn’t see
When you fell hard, how much you meant to me
I miss you, I miss you, I miss you

And she’s gone too far when I’m next to her
And she thinks that the blame is on her

Cause she thought I was trouble when I walked in
But little does she know
Flew her to places she’s never been
That I love her so, oh
She thought I was trouble when I walked in
But little does she know
I had no idea this would be the way
So sorry my girl, I had to leave
Oh, oh, no choice,  choice, choice
Oh, oh, no choice, choice, choice

I didn’t apologize, I made her cry
I’m so guilty now, she says I’m the reason why
I’m drowning, I’m drowning, I’m drowning
You heard I moved on from whispers on the street
But you have no idea, what you meant to me
And now you’ll see, now you’ll see, now you’ll see

I was long gone, when I met you
But now I regret ever leaving you, yeah


There are many people who have been in a hard breakup rather than not. They tend to feel at fault for the relationship crashing and usually someone ends up in pain. The lyrics that Taylor Swift sings in the song, "I Knew You Were Trouble,” relates to her experience of a memory she had of a hard break-up. She thought she knew why the break-up occurred, but she finally was told the truth from her boyfriend about his plan to go off to war.

I knew you were trouble when you walked in, so shame on me now, flew me to places I'd never been, til' you put me down, oh! This song is telling fans that T-Swift fell for a guy that she knew would bring her trouble. Even though her boyfriend appeared dangerous, she clung to his angelic smile. He was very mysterious and kept secrets from Taylor that she would have never guessed of. Sometimes she thought that she should just end it, right then and there because she didn’t like the secrets being kept from her ears. She finally decided against that thought. Swift’s producer, Anthony Mandler, explains how she deals with her emotions, “She wanted to tell a story of a doomed love and a good girl pushed to the brink. She had dealt with trouble, but not this particular situation." Taylor Swift thought that he left her because he was seeing another girl.                                                                                                

 "I Knew You Were Trouble" was written in Taylor Swift’s perspective; I wanted to make a song in the guy’s point of view as he responds to Swift and explains himself. Taylor thought that he was trouble because she assumed he was cheating on her. Zack, her boyfriend, writes a song back explaining how he was actually going off to war to fight for his country. It was impossible for him to tell her that he couldn’t be with her; instead of telling the truth, he figured it’d be easier to leave without saying goodbye. She thought I was trouble when I walked in. But little does she know, I had no idea this would be the way. So sorry my girl, I had to leave. The guilt for leaving her had caught Zack in a trap: he realized he needed to explain to her the truth and hoped she would understand.

The song “I Knew You Were Trouble” had caught her off guard, which is easy for lots of people to relate to. Taylor Swift thought that the guy she liked was trouble because she was suspicious of him being with another girl. Even though Taylor thought she knew about his lie, she was still attracted to him. Taylor misinterpreted Zack’s sudden need to leave. He explains to her in his song, “You Thought I Was Trouble,” and tells her how he left her for war. Zack never stopped loving her and didn’t want to hurt her.

Forest Gump said, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get.” This is exactly what Taylor was dealing with. She had no idea that her mysterious boyfriend was at stake of being at war. If he wouldn’t have been so secretive, she wouldn’t have made assumptions about him that she wasn’t certain of.  It’s crazy how one point of view can change the whole story around.

No comments:

Post a Comment